How to keep your immune System Healthy?
How to keep your immune system healthy? A strong immune system helps in defending the body against diseases during flu season and cold season and prevents you from falling ill. But sometimes the immune system fails to do the job and some germ enters the body and makes you sick. Is it possible to boost the immune system again? Let us learn how?
Healthy ways to strengthen the immune system:-
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Regular exercise
- Stop smoking
- Eat a diet full of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Get enough sleep
- Manage your stress well
- Wash your hands
Immunity changes with age:-
As we grow old our immune system starts getting weaker which means more infections and increased risk of cancer. Some people age healthy but still, the risk of contracting infections is more in older people as compared to young people. Respiratory infections, pneumonia, and influenza are the leading death cause worldwide. A reduction in immune strength means that vaccines are also less effective as we grow old.
Consume immune-supporting nutrients:-
- Beta Carotene– found in plant-based foods, like sweet potatoes, carrots, spinach, mango, broccoli, and tomatoes.
- Vitamin C- citrus fruits, melons, berries, bell peppers, tomatoes, and broccoli. Citrus fruits are used as the foods to fight flu and food to fight cold
- Vitamin D– found in fatty fish and eggs. Milk is also a source of vitamin D.
- Zinc – animal-based foods like beef and seafood, and also in wheat germ, nuts, beans, and tofu.
- Probiotics – healthy gut bacteria that promote health. These are found in dairy products such as yogurt and in fermented foods.
- Protein– found in both animal and plant-based sources, like milk, yogurt, beef, eggs, chicken, seafood, seeds, nuts, beans, and lentils.
Other food that makes the immune system stronger:-
Below is a list of food to fight sickness and boost your immune health.
- are a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, and Vitamin B-6. These are natural antioxidants and are high in vitamin E. Vitamin. E plays a major role in maintaining the immune system’s health.
- Kiwi- kiwi just like papaya are loaded with essential nutrients like potassium, folate, vitamin c, and vitamin K. Vitamin C boosts WBC’s and fight infections.
- Ginger- ginger reduces the inflammation and treats sore throat and other symptoms if cold. Ginger decreases chronic pain and has cholesterol-lowering properties.
- Broccoli- Broccoli is full of vitamins and minerals. It is loaded with vitamins A, E, C and is a rich source of antioxidants. Broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables you can include in your diet.
- .Red bell pepper- red bell pepper has more vitamin c content than any citrus fruit. These are good sources of beta carotene. Red bell pepper boosts the immune system and vitamin c help in keeping the skin healthy. Beta carotene is good for healthy eyes and skin.
- Turmeric- Turmeric is one of the most used curry ingredients. This spice has great anti-inflammatory properties and helps in treating osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.