This post is based on What are causes of random chills even without fever, symptoms of chills and how to get rid of chills naturally at home
‘Getting chills’ denote to the feeling of experiencing cold without an evident cause. Shivering and slight fever may cause chills. It happens when the muscles inflate and compact. The time period of chills can be different from person to person. Sometimes it can last for few minutes, sometimes for an hour and at times even for a day or two. There are various reasons behind the random chills being caused, symptoms of chills and they can be any of them:
- Cold weather
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Viral or Bacterial Infections
- Strep Throat
Treatment of Chills – Get Rid of Chills Naturally at Home
Various factors need to be kept in mind while treating the problem and causes of random chills. One of the most significant factors to take care along with the other factors is: the age of the person and the temperature of the body. Children need a lot of attention and their treatment differs to those given to adults for the causes of random chills. Still if you are not sure about what to do, then doctors will be the best help to you. Do take utmost care in case of children.
There are various ways to get rid of chills and below given are some of the most common ways. Check them out:
- Take ample rest – You must have heard that ‘Excess of anything is not good’ and same is the case here as well. At times the exertion of work is so much that your does not get ample rest and hence you are bound to get sick. In such a situation, you need a small break and rest for a while. Take good sleep so that your body and mind gets enough rest. This will also make your immune system strong which will further strengthen the healthiness and effective working of your overall body.
Read more: How to get rid of whiteheads?
- Drink enough water – In our busy schedule we get so much involved that at times we skip our food timings and even ignore drinking water time to time. Hence, it is always important to keep your body hydrated because this factor is majorly responsible for the smooth working of our body. Moreover, the scientific reason behind drinking ample water is that water clenches oxygen within it and assists in cleaning the system of the body. So, it is advisable to drink lots of water or alternates like healthy juices and keep yourself hydrated.
- Keep your body lukewarm – To prevent dryness, it is necessary that your body stays slightly warm. To get rid of chills, wearing warm pajamas or covering yourself with lukewarm blankets while sleeping is a good idea. This not only keeps your body warm but also saves your skin from getting dry. Another way to prevent chills could be to dress up oneself in layers. This might make you feel loathsome for sometime but will make you feel warm enough. But remember, if the chill is followed by fever than this method won’t be a solution else will increase your problem. So, do not opt wearing lukewarm lowers or covering yourself with lukewarm blanket if you have also got fever along with chills else your body temperature will increase more.
- Say No to Alcohol – Alcohol desiccates the body which in addition also decreases the amount of oxygen in the body and so it is advisable to not to consume alcohol. You might also faint due to the dehydration caused by in taking of alcohol. Hence, Drinking alcohol does no good ever; rather it is an invitation to many kinds of sickness and diseases.Read more: How to get periods immediately?
- Over-the-counter Medications – You can take the over-the-counter medications like Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in case of slight fever and chills. But be careful enough to read the given instructions and directions before you take any medicine. Tylenol will reduce the fever but not inflammation and might be harmful for liver if it is not taken as per the directions given, Ibuprofen & Aspirin will lower down your fever and inflammation both.
- Few cases require immediate medical attention – If children are suffering from the problem of chills and the fever is not coming down even after giving them the medicine then it is the time to consult a doctor. In case of infants having fever for more than one day and above 101 degree Fahrenheit, take them to the doctor instantly without any delay. When it comes to adults; you need to visit a doctor right away if you are suffering from terrible cough, abdominal cough, breathing difficulty lethargic, neck clumsiness and the fever is above 102 degree Fahrenheit and has not shown any sort of improvement within three days. Moreover, if the time of fever and chills does not show any betterment even after 48 hours of care given at home and have symptoms like: severe cough, sensitivity to light, breathing difficulty, pain in abdominal, less urination or excess urination, lethargic, irritation and forceful vomiting then do not delay even for a second in visiting the doctor.
- Treat Hypothermia (chills with no fever) – In case if you have the chills and no fever at all then this is termed as Hypothermia and it might be dangerous. To elaborate, Hypothermia happens when the temperature of the body gets very low in comparison to the cold weather or cold water. The phases of severity differ. It could be a Mild Hypothermia if the temperature of your body is below the normal temperature of 98.6 degree and you are shivering a lot. In such a condition, add warmness to your body by drinking warm liquids and stay dry. Secondly, if the temperature of the body is less than 96 degree and you are losing control over your bodily movements then rush for an emergency assistance.
Also, beware of old myths like rubbing alcohol as skin might get cooler, have something cold to cure high fever or sweat out by covering yourself with blankets so that the fever can go away with sweat etc. Do not follow any such old wives tales. Always be practical enough to think right.
Hope this article proved a help to you!