It is common knowledge that Yoga has a lot of benefits for adults, but have you ever wondered, can it be useful for kids too? Answer to that question is a yes, there are a lot of benefits of yoga for kids. If you are a parent, you should try to engage your kids to attain kids yoga poses with you while performing Yoga as it can be beneficial for them both physically and mentally. It sets a foundation for a healthy lifestyle at an early stage. Kids who have been performing Yoga moves turn out to be better than other kids in nearly all the aspects. Yoga for kids easy tips are provided below.
Things to keep in mind:
- Make it a fun activity for the kid i.e. do not force them into attaining specific poses
- Wearing comfortable clothes and staying barefoot
- Try playing Yoga based games to indulge the kid in wanting to perform Yoga
- Focusing and sticking on kids yoga poses
Once your child starts enjoying Yoga, it becomes a massive success for you as a parent because you just ensured your kid’s healthy lifestyle going further. Yoga for kids is a complete phenomenon as it is really beneficial for them.
Benefits of Yoga for kids:
- Reduction of stress hormones
- quality sleep
- improved moods & resilience
- sharp memory, etc.,
It does not take much time to perform yoga as only 10 minutes of Yoga can provide magical benefits. So, now it’s time to shed some light on various kids yoga poses:
Cat Pose (Marjaryasana)The cat pose is one of the easiest yoga poses out there for kids. As the name suggests it includes attaining the posture of a cat. Steps to attain cat pose:
- Taking tabletop position whilst your legs, knees & hands are touching the ground.
- Knees, Wrists, Back & Elbow should be aligned straight.
- Inhale and exhale along with the back movements.
- Strengthens the spine
- Stretches the chest, shoulders & abdomen
- Stimulates the abdominal organs and
- Releases fatigue and stress.
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
This pose requires you form a position of a bow. It includes bending your back as bow and opening your chest while grasping your ankles. Detailed steps of this yoga move for kids:
- Lie on your stomach
- Bend the back like a bow and stretch your chest and shoulder outwards
- Extend your hand straight to grasp your ankles
- Stay in the position for at least five breaths
- Strengthens the back, shoulders, chest, and legs
- Enhances flexibility, and
- Regulates the digestive system
- Easy Pose (Sukhasana)
It is the most basic yoga poses for kids. Steps to be followed for doing it right:
- Sit upright in a cross-legged position.
- Keep your palms on the thighs facing up.
- Hold the position for five minutes
- Tackling Anxiety, stress & depression in the long run
- Strengthening back, thighs & hips
- Corpse Pose (Savasana)
This particular pose may look effortless but it tests the patience of the performer more than any other pose. In order to do it following steps must be followed:
- Lie on your back.
- Stretch your arms and they must be at least 5 inches away from the body.
- Legs should be close but not touching.
- Breathe normally.
Benefits of Yoga:
- Enhances memory, concentration
- Cures Anxiety & insomnia
- Maintains appropriate heart rate and blood pressure
- Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
This is a standing pose and involves stretching the hands straight up. This could be used as a pose to calm-down. It must be done in the following manner:
- Stand straight and raise your hands at 90 degrees form your shoulders
- Shoulders must be relaxed and not stiff
- Legs must be few inches apart
- Breathe slowly and maintain the posture as long as it’s comfortable
Benefits of Yoga:
- Better sleep for the kid
- Improves overall posture
- Boat Pose (Naukasana)
This kids yoga move lays focus on enhancing body balance. It involves form
ing a boat or a cone-like position which should be attained after following the below-mentioned steps:
- Lie down on the back.
- Form a ‘V’ shape by lifting your chest and legs up
- Stretch the arms in the direction of the toes
- Do it until it is comfortable
- Great for kidney and liver
- Reduces constipation and improves digestion.
If you insist on making your child healthier and happier as they grow then you should definitely try to make them perform these kids yoga moves. Yoga for kids has all the benefits that a parent seeks for this kid.
Does your child do yoga? If not, will you make him do it now? Do let us know in the comments section below.