Slow metabolic rate means inevitable fat storage. Controlling your calorie intake and curbing hunger will not boost your slow metabolism. Weight loss is a task when you have poor metabolism. There are many factors that influence metabolisms like age, stress, hormone imbalance, and heredity. Is there an effective way to boost metabolism? Yes. In this article, we have mentioned the top 10 metabolism booster methods. These methods will make your metabolism fast, help you lose weight, keep you fit and healthy.
What is Metabolism?
Metabolism is the process of breaking down carbohydrates, proteins, and fats to produce energy in the body. The interaction between the number of calories you lose by exercising and the number of calories you consume decides the metabolism rate.
There are two categories of Metabolism-Anabolism and Catabolism:-
- Catabolism is the chemical reaction that breaks the molecule into smaller units which helps in producing energy.
- Anabolism helps the body in maintaining new tissues and growing new cells. Anabolism is the synthesis of all the essential compounds needed by the cells.
An individual with Fast metabolism loses weight quicker than a person with a slow metabolic rate
Factors that influence Metabolism:-
- Gender- Men are able to burn more calories compared to women because of the presence of muscle tissue in their bodies.
- Age- after the age of 40 metabolism decreases by 5% due to the decreases muscle mass. With the increasing age, it is important to be mindful of your diet and remain active in exercising and workouts.
- Thyroid Disorder- Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism also slow down the metabolism rate in the body.
- Heredity- An individual can inherit slow metabolism from their parents and grandparents.
How to Increase Metabolism?
Metabolism is affected by various factors but there are ways by which you can boost your metabolism. Eating the foods that increase metabolism, and following healthy habits will affect positively. Below mentioned are some of the ways by which you can increase your metabolism.
- Consume more garlic– Garlic is a metabolism booster. It has anti-inflammatory properties, it minimizes the production of adipokines, reduces inflammation and helps in boosting metabolism. Garlic reduces lipid, triglyceride and the bad cholesterol in the blood. The best way to consume garlic is to have one clove in the morning, this will increase metabolism and prevent cardiovascular diseases. Add it in smoothies, salad dressing, grilled veggies, curries, soup if you do not like the raw taste.
- Drink Green tea– Green tea is rich in epigallocatechin-3-gallate, which is a phytonutrient. It helps in increasing fat metabolism and minimizes the risk of diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular diseases, and obesity. Green tea has no calories; you can also add honey, lemon, mint, cinnamon, ginger, etc for flavor. Drink one cup of green tea every morning with your breakfast or during evening snack time.
- Eat lean proteins– Lean protein-rich foods are some metabolism-boosting foods. Include lean protein in your everyday meal. Proteins do not increase weight. Protein-rich foods take longer to digest and keep you full for a longer time. Lean proteins increase metabolism by up to 35%. Foods that are good sources of lean proteins are beans, legumes, fish, chicken breasts, ground turkey, mushrooms, and lean cut beef, tofu, and eggs.
- Yogurt– Yogurt has many health benefits for the body and stomach. It is a source of good bacteria that helps in digestion and keeps the gut healthy. Regular yogurt consumption helps in reducing fat deposits in the body. Poor digestion is one of the main reasons behind a slow metabolic rate. Consuming yogurt will keep your gut healthy, improve digestion and therefore will result in fast metabolism. Have yogurt directly or you can add fruits.
- Fruits and vegetables– vegetables & fruits are a good source of dietary fiber, minerals, vitamins and nutrients which detoxify the body, curb hunger, prevent cardiovascular diseases and improve bowel movement. Eating fresh fruits and vegetable help by making metabolism fast. They reduce inflammation, which is the biggest reason behind slow metabolism and obesity. Include colorful and green leafy vegetables in your diet such as cabbage, kale, Chinese cabbage, spinach, bok choy, rocket spinach, celery, tomato, broccoli, bell pepper, carrot, beetroot, cauliflower, eggplant, sweet potato, etc. fruits like pear, prunes, apples, tangerine, orange, plum, grapefruit, lemon, banana, avocado, pineapple, blueberry, black grape, raspberry, and strawberry.
- Eat nuts- Nuts are a good source of vitamins, healthy fats, and protein. Healthy fats consumption reduces inflammation and obesity. Nuts increase the metabolic rate and satiety. They also mobilize fat. You can snack on nuts in the evening or between working hours. This will also ensure that you do not consume unhealthy snacks. Consume soaked almonds (4-6) in the morning before breakfast. Pine nuts, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts can be added in yogurt to add the crunch and get the benefit of both.
- Drink Water- Waterworks as a wonderful metabolism booster. After you wake up, make it a habit of drinking 2 glass of water in the morning. Water helps in flushing out the toxins from the body and reduces inflammation. It is important to keep the body hydrated to get that metabolism kicking.
- Reduce stress- Stress is a big inducer for inflammation, insulin resistance, and high blood pressure in the body. Inflammation leads to slowing down the process of metabolism and will make you gain weight. Stress is bad for mental and physical health. Do your favorite in free time like cooking, watching movies, play sport, painting, traveling, go to the spa with your friends, or learn a new skill. Keep yourself occupied so that you don’t stress about negative things.
- Eat Broccoli- Broccoli is a good source of antioxidants; it reduces the oxidative stress levels in the body. It flushes out the toxins from the body which are a major inflammation inducer. Broccoli is great for heart health. Add broccoli to pasta, pizza or consume it by grilling or adding in the soup. Never overcook broccoli; this will kill its goodness.
- Never skip breakfast- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is not advisable to skip your breakfast. When you skip breakfast the brain does not get enough energy to function properly and the brain slows down. This has a direct impact on metabolism. You should include enough proteins, fibers and healthy fats in your breakfast to start your day on a healthy note.