Red blood shot eyes is also called as RED EYES. Red eye is an ecumenical term used to describe red, irritated or bloodshot eyes. Red eye is caused by swollen or dilated blood vessels on the sclera, the white outer surface of the eye.Red eye can attend by eye pain, itching, eye discharge, swollen eyes or visual disturbances such as blurry vision. The bloodshot eye can appear suddenly, especially in reception to allergies or an eye injury.
SYMPTOMS OF RED BLOODSHOT EYES ARE:
• If your eyes being red for more than 2 to 3 days.
• If you have pain and vision changes in the eye.
• If you feel an object in your eye.
• If you have yellow or green discharge from your eyes.
• Swelling/ inflammation
• Headache/ neck pain
• Dryness/ dry eyes
• Stomach ache/ bloating/ pain.
• Sniffing/ sneezing/ coughing
• Mucus/ pus
• Swollen feet / hands.
CAUSES OF RED BLOODSHOT EYES:
Conjunctivitis is one of the most common and contagious eye infections. It haps when conjunctiva the thin, normally transparent membrane that covers the sclera and lines the eyelids becomes infected.
When the conjunctiva is infected the blood vessel within become swells and irritated devoting the red or pink appearance. In fact, a reddish-pink eye is a blabber symptom of conjunctivitis.
There are different types of conductivities and variant ways to treat them so consult your doctors in such case.
2) DRY EYES: dry eye syndrome occurs when your eyes do not acquire enough amounts of tears to properly ailment and lubricate your eyes. This can extend to irritation and eye redness. Inveterate dry eyes can cause the surface of an eye to becoming inflamed and irritated, making your eyes look red.
3) ALLERGY: the red eye is often referred as allergic eyes. Red eye is the common indicator of allergy. When your resistant system reacts to a foreign system, such as pollen, pet dander, dust or certain chemicals found in makeup or contact lens solutions. This attack response may involve inflammation, sneezing and a host of other symptoms.
As a result, the histamine released caused blood vessels in your eyes to enlarge, making your eyes become wet and watery.
4) CONTACT LENSES: One of the perpetrators of red eye is over wearing or not properly caring for your contact lenses. Red eye while wearing contact lenses can be a sign of infection, such as keratitis or fungal eye infections. Contact lenses can also cause dry eye syndrome as they reduce the amount of oxygen reaching your cornea and can resist normal tear flow production.
And some other causes are:
• Computer vision syndrome
• Eye injury • Sleep/ sleep apnea / sleep deprivation.
• Food and diet
• Cosmetic products use at night.
• Environmental toxins
• Sun exposure
• Eye strain / overuse
• Cigarette smoke
• Chemical fumes
• Corneal ulcers and infection
• Ocular lacerations and intraocular foreign bodies
• Blood thinning drugs
• Stress and anxiety
• Cold and flu
• Kidney failure and problems such as the kidney stone
• Liver disease
• High blood pressure or hypertension
• Glandular fever
• Menstruation/ menopause
• Dry air
• Improper diet
• Deficiencies in vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine) and the amino acids histidine, lysine or phenylalanine.
HOW TO GET RID Of RED EYE:
1. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON EYE DROPS: There are varieties of eye drops available and each one is for unlike considerations. So, before choosing your eye drop; always do research or consult your doctor.
2. CONSULT YOUR EYE CARE PROFESSIONAL: The best way to cure your red eye is to talk to your specialist about your red eye.
o If your red eye is because of allergies, then go for eye drop which contain antihistamines. It can also cause eye redness or dryness.
o If you have the infection, go for the prescribed eye drops which contain antibiotics.
3. AVOID SMOKING:Smoking causes thorns like aching which bother your eyes and cause unnecessary redness. Smoking also increases the risk of a variety of eye diseases including cataracts, macular degeneration, uveitis and dry eye syndrome. Smoking while pregnant can even cause eye diseases in the unborn baby.
SOME OF THE HOME REMEDIES OF BLOODSHOT EYES OR RED EYES ARE:
EYE RINSE: Rinse your eyes with this homemade recipe. This recipe works best for tired, dry or bloodshot eyes. Before using utensils for this remedy, make sure they are well washed. Things you need to make this remedy are:
• 1 cup distilled water
• 1 tablespoon of eye bright.
• 1 tablespoon of chamomile flowers
• Or crushed fennel seeds.
PROCEDURE: Boil the water and let it cool then crush the fennel seeds. Then, add both eye bright and chamomile to the bowl and cover the pot for about 30 minutes then strain the liquid twice. Pour the strained liquid into a vessel or bottle and you can keep it in a refrigerator for 7 days. Wash your open eyes with this solution and before using this, every time shake it well.
COOL EYE MASK: This mask is quite refreshing and it will help to get rid of eye bags also. So, the things you need to prepare this mask are:
• 2 tablespoon of cucumber or raw potato
• Peeled, seeded and finely grated
PROCEDURE: Combine the ingredients in a bowl and let it cool or refrigerated for 30 minutes. You can add slight water if it’s too thick. Lie down, close your eyes and apply this mixture on your eyes and relax for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water. You can use this procedure twice a week.
So, that is all about the red eye bloodshot eyes! If you are suffering from the red eye than apart from these remedies, you also have to take general care like going to bed early, staying away from the TV or monitor as much as you can, don’t rub your eyes and wash your eyes every hour with cold water. Take care of yourself and stay safe.
Feel free to write to us in these comments section below!