It should come as no surprise that people typically want to feel more empowered in their lives. After all, we all contend with daily responsibilities at work, with family and friends, at homes, and more—of course, the thought of gaining some control over it all is appealing. The “how” of taking control over it all, however, is daunting. Thankfully, there are a few simple steps you can take to get on track and start feeling more empowered almost immediately.
Take Control of Your Career
If you’re unhappy with your work situation, you likely feel powerless to fix it. Whether you’re working more hours than you’d like, in an environment that adds to your stress or just struggle to do your best work, the situation can quickly start to feel hopeless.
There are a few different ways you can start to take control and feel more empowered at work:
- Consult with your supervisor to better understand their expectations & request feedback.
- Find a trusted mentor to help you develop your career and networking skills.
- If all else fails, look for a better fit elsewhere.
Dress for the Life You Want
The adage about dressing for the job you want doesn’t only apply to business—you can apply that same principle to your day-to-day life.
You can bring your dreams to life through your clothing in many ways:
- If you want to feel sexy and more empowered in your romantic life, find some sexy lingerie to help build that image (even if you’re the only one who sees it).
- If you want to move up the corporate ladder, find some business attire that makes you feel like a CEO.
- If you’re sitting at home and don’t know where to start, just get dressed (including shoes) to feel more accomplished almost instantly.
Watch Your Speech
Whether it’s the voice in your head or how you speak to others, your speaking patterns make a difference in not just how others see you but how you feel about yourself.
There are many ways you can start empowering your speech:
- Cut out qualifiers like “just,” “maybe,” or “sort of” to increase the efficacy of your speech.
- When a negative thought arises, add something more positive to help it.
Cross Something Off Your Bucket List
Life is much too short to keep telling yourself you’ll get to that dream of yours someday.
If you need some inspiration:
- Always wanted to surf? Sign up for surfing lessons for beginners and find that first wave in no time.
- Want to cook? Find a private lesson or start testing some Pinterest recipes at home.
- Dream of traveling? Start saving up for that dream trip, even if it’s a dollar each week.
Take Some Time for Yourself
Sometimes, just getting away from everyone else’s expectations of you makes all the difference.
Just a few of the many ways you can take some alone time:
- Do some yoga or a favorite exercise.
- Stop for a bit and do nothing—meditate or just be at one with yourself.
- Imagine the most empowered, amazing version of yourself—over time, you’ll find that you already are that powerful person.
Make an Impact
No matter how much you think about empowerment, it’s a lot harder to obtain without some active effort.
Start taking action:
- Start implementing the lessons you’ve learned from your favorite self-help book or podcast.
- Take a concrete step towards a goal (even if that’s just writing a to-do list for now).
- Set some easy-to-reach goals to give yourself a win—you deserve it, and all those still to come.
In a world where we’re always being pulled in multiple directions, it’s easy to feel like you have no power in your own life. Something a simple as some alluring lingerie or a change to your speaking habits can start you on the path to success and empowerment today.