Food poisoning, also known as foodborne illness, is caused by eating toxic, spoiled, or contaminated food. The symptoms of food poisoning depend upon the causes of sickness, but the most common symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea. We understand that food poisoning is highly uncomfortable, but the body tries to remove the toxins from the body. Now you must be thinking about what causes food poisoning?
The prime cause of food poisoning is drinking water or eating food that is contaminated with parasites, bacteria, or viruses. Food poisoning goes away within a few days, but in certain cases, it lasts for a longer time. A wide range of food poisoning treatments is available in the marketer. Nevertheless, here are some home remedies for food poisoning. But before jumping to the remedies, have a look at the reasons and symptoms of food poisoning.
Read – Everything about Diverticulitis from causes to cure
Symptoms of Food Poisoning
Symptoms of food poisoning vary depending upon the causes and the source of infection. As there are different organisms that can contaminate the food, hence, the symptoms of food poisoning also differ. The time duration for the symptoms to appear also varies on the basis of the source of infection; nevertheless, food poisoning never goes undetected. In normal cases, below mentioned are some of the common symptoms of food poisoning.
- loss of appetite
- abdominal cramps
- mild fever
- abdominal cramp
Below mentioned are some of the life-threatening symptoms of food poisoning.
- fever higher than 101.5° F
- bloody urine
- difficulty in speaking or seeing
- diarrhea lasting for more than three days
- dehydration symptoms like dry mouth, passing no or little urine
In case of any of the above-mentioned symptoms, you should seek medical advice or contact the doctor immediately.
Causes of Food Poisoning
Another question that comes to mind is what causes food poisoning . Some of the foods like unpasteurized dairy products, undercooked meat, eggs, unwashed fruits, and vegetables carry a greater risk of food poisoning as compared to others. Below mentioned are some of the major causes of food poisoning.
- Viruses – Food poisoning is often caused by viruses. The norovirus causes varied causes of food poisoning every year. Other viruses like astrovirus, sapovirus, and rotavirus also lead to similar symptoms.
- Bacteria – Bacteria is one of the most common causes of food poisoning. A bacteria, namely Salmonella, is one of the common bacteria that causes food poisoning. Other bacteria include Listeria, E.colli, C. botulinum, and Campylobacter.
- Parasites – Food poisoning that is caused by parasites is different from that of viruses and bacteria. Toxoplasma is one of the most common parasites that cause food poisoning.
- Contaminated Food – When food comes in contact with organisms present in the fecal matter, it leads to food poisoning. Moreover, foods eaten raw are one of the major causes of food poisoning as they do not go through the cooking process. Foods like dairy products, eggs, and meat are frequently contaminated. Water can also get contaminated by the organisms that cause illness.
Food Poisoning Treatment
Food poisoning can be treated with the help of varied ingredients that are present in our kitchen. Below mentioned are some of the best home remedies for food poisoning.
Ginger is a highly effective ingredient to reduce the symptoms of food poisoning. In order to consume ginger, add one spoon of grated ginger in a cup of water and boil it for some time. Add sugar or honey to it in accordance with the taste. Moreover, you can also consume ginger pieces directly. It is one of the best food poisoning treatments.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar comprises a wide range of health benefits. Moreover, it is a highly effective food poisoning treatment due to its alkaline effect. In order to consume apple cider vinegar, add 2-3 teaspoons to the hot water cup and consume it before eating your meal.
For food poisoning, lemon is one of the best home remedies. All you need to do is add some sugar to one teaspoon of lemon juice and consume it directly. You can also consume lemon juice by diluting in the lukewarm water.
Garlic is loaded with cardiac and antipyretic properties. Moreover, it is also an effective digestive agent. In order to consume garlic, swallow garlic’s clove with a glass of water. If you cannot stand the smell of garlic, you can also consume garlic juice.
Bananas are effective home remedies for food poisoning as they are easy to digest. All you need to do is eat one banana every day, or you can also opt for the banana shake.