Mouth ulcers are popularly known as canker sores. They are extremely painful areas in the gums and mouth. Canker sores are harmless, but they are highly uncomfortable and develop difficulties in drinking, eating, and even in brushing teeth. Mouth ulcers go away within a week or two, but if you have a large canker sore that is painful and is not going away, then you should visit a doctor as canker sore also occur due to nutritional deficiencies. Irrespective of the causes, mouth ulcers can be annoying. Now you must be thinking how to get rid of mouth ulcer? Or how to cure mouth ulcer fast naturally? Here is an article with home remedies for mouth ulcers treatment. But before jumping to the remedies, let’s explore the causes and symptoms of mouth ulcers
Types of Mouth Ulcers
There are three types of mouth ulcers: minor, major and herpetiform.
- Minor – These mouth ulcers are small round or oval and they heal within a week or two without scarring.
- Major – These mouth ulcers are deeper and larger than the minor caner sores. They contain uneven edges and can take five to six weeks to heal. Moreover, they can lead to long-term scarring.
- Herpetiform – These sores are of pinpoint size and have irregular edges. They can take one to two weeks to heal and they heal without scarring.
You need to seek medical advice or visit a doctor, if you are facing any of the below mentioned symptoms.
- large mouth ulcers
- new canker sores before the healing of old ones
- painless sores
- ulcers that extend to the lips
- sore that last more than three week
- issues in eating and drinking
- diarrhea or high fever whenever you have mouth ulcers
Causes of Mouth Ulcers
The exact mouth ulcer causes are not known and they vary from person-to-person. However, there are some common mouth ulcer causes that may trigger the ulcers. Below mentioned are some of the mouth ulcer causes.
- hard brushing, accidental bite or minor mouth injury
- mouth rinse or toothpaste that contain sodium lauryl sulfate
- dental braces
- deficiency of necessary vitamins especially iron, folate, b-12, and zinc
- allergic response to bacteria in mouth
- lack of sleep or emotional stress
- sensitivity to foods containing acid like pineapples, strawberries, and oranges
- change in hormones due to menstruation
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
Now if you are seeking how to cure mouth ulcer fast naturally, then here are some effective home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Coconut Oil
Coconut oil for mouth ulcers is one of the best home remedies. Coconut oil is rich in antimicrobial components. It is an analgesic and anti-inflammatory compound. These properties help in reducing the swelling and pain caused due t to mouth ulcers.
How to Use
All you need for mouth ulcers treatment is virgin coconut oil. Apply a little bit of virgin coconut oil on the mouth ulcer and leave it. Repeat it a few times in the day and apply some oil before going to bed also for better results.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is rich in acidic content which kill the bacteria that cause mouth ulcers. It is an effective home remedy for mouth ulcers and perfect solution to how to cure mouth ulcer fast naturally.
How to Use
Mix apple cider vinegar with water and swish the solution in your mouth for two to three minutes. After swishing rinse your mouth with normal water. Repeat the same every morning and evening until the healing of mouth ulcers.
Honey is rich source of antimicrobial and wound healing properties. It quickens the natural healing process of the canker sores and helps in keeping the mouth infection free. It also reduces swelling and irritation caused due to mouth ulcers.
How to Use
Apply honey directly to the ulcer and let it stay. Keep repeating it every few hours for better results.
- Salt Water
Salt water for ulcers is one of the best solutions to how to cure mouth ulcer fast naturally? Salt water develops soothing effects on the ulcers. Salt is loaded with antiseptic properties which help in healing ulcer fast. It is an effective solution to how to get rid of mouth ulcer.
How to Use
Mix salt in a glass of water. Gargle with the salt a three to four times during the day. After gargling rinse your mouth with plain water which will help in removing the excess saltiness.
Toothpaste is loaded with antimicrobial capacity which helps in clearing out the infection that causes mouth ulcer.
How to Use
Apply toothpaste on the ulcer with the help of a Q-tip. Leave it for some time and then rinse it water. Repeat this every day until the ulcers heal.
You can use the above mentioned remedies for mouth ulcer treatment. In order to avoid mouth ulcer try to keep your mouth clean and take best care of your teeth, as it helps in preventing ulcers. Brush teeth gently using soft toothbrush to avoid mouth ulcers. Moreover, get adequate rest and sleep. This will help in avoiding mouth ulcers as well as other illnesses.