There are several varieties of lip piercing in the market to go for. Lips are the most delicate part of our body so it takes a little more time to heal. Approximate healing time of lip piercing is about 2 to 3 months.
Lip piercing needs extra care as there are high chances of infection if the piercing is not taken care of properly, bacteria in and around the mouth may increase the risk of infection to much larger scale.
At times it is peculiar just after piercing as your jeweler can hit your teeth and gums directly, therefore to settle it or to make it habitual,you may need some time. Try to keep your mouth clean and dry so it is preferable to avoid crispy food mostly.
In lip piercing, swelling and bleeding is quite normal and here are some new and effective ways of reducing lip swelling:
- COLD COMPRESS AND ICE CUBES: The best and easy way to reduce swelling is applying cold compress using ice cubes. Put some ice cubes in cotton cloth or a paper towel and place it on the affected area. Do it till your swelling gets down and repeat it after every 10 to 15 minutes. Never use ice cubes on affected area directly as it can damage the lips tissue.
- TURMERIC POWDER: Turmeric is highly known for its healing property. You can use turmeric powder to get rid of swollen lips. For this, you will need turmeric, cold water, and some fuller’s earth. Mix all of them well and make ointment, apply it on affected area and let it dry then wash it carefully with warm water. Repeat this twice a day for quicker and better results.
- ALOE VERA GEL: If your pierced area is highly infected, then aloe Vera gel is best to opt. Aloe Vera is well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. To use aloe Vera gel you can either buy ready-made gel or you can extract some juice from fresh aloe Vera and massage it gently on the affected area for two to three times a day.
- TEA TREE OIL AND ALOE VERA: Instead of directly using tea tree oil, you can mix tea tree oil and aloe Vera gel in 2:1 proportion and apply it on affected area, washing it off with cold water after it gets dry. You can use this mixture numbers of times in a day if your swelling does not reduce.
- BAKING SODA: Baking soda is also a good option to reduce swelling. To use it, take about one tablespoon of baking soda and mix it with water till it turns out in the thick paste. Now apply it on affected area and let it stay until it dries then wash it with cold water. Use it till swelling subsides.
- HONEY: Honey has antibacterial properties which lead to getting rid of swollen lips. It will keep your lips moisturize, prevent infection and reduce inflammation, swelling and pain. Dip a cotton ball in honey and apply it on affected area, leave it for about 20 minutes and rinse it with cold water. Repeat it 2 to 3 times a day.
- BLACK TEA BAG: Black tea contains astringent quality and a compound known as tannins which can reduce swelling particularly in the soft tissues of the lips. For applying it, soak a black tea bag in warm water for about 10 minutes, remove the bag from water and let the water cool down. Gently rub it on lips for 10 minutes. Repeat it several times in a day for better results.
- SALT: Salt contains natural disinfectant property which helps to kill germs that may cause infection in a cut. Add a tablespoon of salt in warm water and apply it on affected area with the help of a cotton ball. Initially, there will be a burning sensation, but this is very useful in lowering down the swelling. You can do this once or twice a day.
- WARM COMPRESS: Similarly to cold compression, hot compression is another effective way to treat a swollen lip. It will improve the blood circulation in the lips and reduce the accumulation of blood in the swollen area, which will help in reducing swelling and inflammation. If you have heating pad, you can use that otherwise soak a clean cloth in warm water and wire out the excess water. Apply it over your lips for 10 minutes. Repeat it after every hour.
See more: Eyebrow piercing
- WITCH HAZEL: Witch hazel can do wonders to reduce swelling. It can soothe the pain and clean the cut. Mix one tablespoon of witch hazel with one-half teaspoon of salt. Now take a cotton ball and apply it on affected areas and leave it for about 30 minutes then wash it off with cold water. Repeat it frequently to get the best results.
Some tips about healing aftercare of lips piercing:
- Avoid eating, smoking and drinking within the first three hours of the piercing.
- Avert alcohol, tobacco, and drugs just before and after piercing and till the wound is completely healed.
- Wash your hands every time before touching your piercing.
- Use a new and soft-bristled toothbrush and keep it clean.
- Brush twice or thrice a day and try to keep your mouth clean and dry.
- Don’t share your cups, plates and other eating utensils.
- Always keep your mouth sanitized.
Tips on how to clean infected lip piercing:
1) Wash your hands before cleaning your affected area. It will reduce the chances of re-infection.
2) Use an antibacterial mouthwash that is alcohol-free, clean the area around the piercing at least twice a day.
3) On the outside part of your mouth, you can use antibacterial soap or warm water to clean that part.
4) Keep your lip jewelry clean all the time it will reduce the healing time.
In the conclusion, we would like you to try these basic and effective tips to take care of your piercing. These tips should be followed by everyone who got pierced to reduce chances of infection. So take care of yourself and stay safe. Happy piercing!