Practicing good skincare and cleansing routines as early as possible is fundamental to aging well and maintaining a healthy glow through all stages of life. Along with eating well and exercising, daily care and protection from external stressors also contribute to healthy skin. This is why, by following this curated guide on how to best care for your skin, you will be one step closer to attaining a youthful and vibrant glow.
Why facial cleansing is important in your skincare routine
Cleansing is essential because it removes impurities, excess dirt, and makeup from your pores. It helps keep the skin clear, radiant, and healthy looking. Also, when your face is clean and free from excess oils, you have a blank canvas that better absorbs facial products and allows them to act more effectively.
Without a daily cleansing routine, you are more likely to experience breakouts, premature aging, and dry or flaky skin.
Benefits of proper facial cleansing
When done right, the benefits of facial cleansing quickly become evident in your skin, setting your natural glow apart from the rest. Here are the top reasons why facial cleaning is so beneficial:
· When you cleanse your face, you effectively rinse away the impurities that accumulate daily and help remove dead skin cells, which can cause itchiness and irritation. Cleansing also supports your skin’s protective barrier, which is often subject to pollutants.
· A quality facial cleanser will ensure your skin is hydrated and nourished and maintains a good PH balance, boosting elasticity, softness, and an overall healthier look.
· A great cleanser has properties that help target visible signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines.
Face washing may seem simple. However, more often than not, people are not performing it incorrectly or are using the wrong products.
When starting, you should ideally use a non-abrasive, alcohol-free cleanser. Begin by wetting your face with warm water and applying the cleanser with your fingertips, massaging gently. Avoid scrubbing or vigorously rubbing because this can irritate and damage the skin. Rinse with warm water and pat dry with a soft towel.
Then, you can apply serums or moisturizers to lock in moisture. When applying your products, make sure to never pull the skin, especially around the eye area. If you need a deeper, more thorough cleanse, you may want to also include an exfoliator in your routine.
Special considerations for different skin types
As much as we would love an all-in-one solution, there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to facial cleansers. As a starting point, it’s a good idea to find skin cleansing products for your specific skin type. The three main skin types are oily, dry, or combination/sensitive. Each requires a unique cleanser for maximum efficacy.
· Oily skin – Ingredients like Aloe Vera and tea tree oil will help balance oil production, leaving your skin glowy yet not greasy.
· Dry skin – Moisturizing ingredients like glycerin and shea butter will alleviate tightness and replenish moisture.
· Combination / Sensitive skin – Natural ingredients are preferred for long-term rewards for sensitive skin. Choose chemical-free products as much as possible to retain essential oils. You can find some of the best options at Totality skincare. Wrong ingredients in your products can trigger sensitive skin.
The recommended frequency for facial cleaning is twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening. Depending on your day, you may have to cleanse more often. For example, after a heavy midday gym session with excessive sweating. However, it’s also important to keep in mind that excess cleansing can actually increase oil production, leaving your skin greasier than before.
Post-facial cleansing care
Maintaining a beautiful complexion begins with keeping your skin moisturized. After cleansing, always apply the proper hydration and prioritize being gentle on your skin. In the evening, try using silk or soft pillowcases and linens to avoid irritation.
Overall, remember to be kind to yourself and your skin. With this, a great facial cleanser, and skincare routine, you are already on the road to that youthful and vibrant glow.