Using Home remedies and homemade beauty and skincare treatments is a great and affordable way to solve your skin problems. But everything you see in your kitchen and home is not meant to be applied on the face. It is essential to do your homework before you pick beauty and skincare ingredients to put on your face.
Some ingredients are best left on the plate. Here are some DIY skincare ingredients which are bad for the skin and should be avoided. Many DIY beauty tips and skincare hacks suggest to use these in your beauty regime, but we will suggest you to avoid these DIY beauty ingredients.
- Baking soda For exfoliation- Baking soda is one of the DIY skincare ingredients which you need to avoid using on your skin. There are so many websites that suggest using Baking Soda as an exfoliator. The pH balance of Baking Soda is way too high than the skins pH balance. Baking soda, if used too much on the face, can cause reaction, itchy and dry skin. Use sugar and water scrub instead.
- Lemon- Lemon is also one of the DIY skincare ingredients which are bad for your skin. Lemon is every beauty guru’s favorite skincare ingredient. Lemon is a great beauty ingredient that acts as a natural lightener. Our skin’s natural pH balance is between 4-5, and lemon has a pH of 2. Lemon is very acidic in nature, and it can become phototoxic, making the skin very sensitive to the sun. It can cause sunburns and blisters and also cause discoloration on the skin.
- Egg whites- Eggs are known for tightening the skin and improving skin texture. Egg white is very gentle on the skin, and it minimizes the fine lines and gives a glow to the skin. It is the most used DIY skincare and beauty ingredient. But egg whites contain a Bacteria called Salmonella. If this ingested, it can result in severe food poisoning, and this is not what anybody would want.
- Milk of magnesia or toothpaste for pimples- Toothpaste is the most reached out to DIY beauty ingredient to shrink pimples. Milk of magnesia is also used for the same purpose. Both of these skincare ingredients do not belong to the skin. These can cause an allergic reaction and irritation. Toothpaste contains baking soda and peroxide, which are bad for the skin. It can clog pores causing more breakouts and skin inflammation. There are chances it may cause acne marks after the pimple fades. You should avoid using these DIY beauty skincare ingredients.
- Walnut shells- Walnut shells are used in many exfoliator products. It is a DIY beauty skincare ingredient for exfoliation. Sometimes walnut shells may contain sharp-edged particles that can cause damage to skin cells and break capillaries. It can damage the face tissues.
- Lavender- Lavender oil and mist is becoming quite popular. This DIY skincare ingredient is bad for your skin. Lavender contains Coumarin, which makes the skin dark and can cause hyperpigmentation.
- Mayonnaise- Mayonnaise belongs to the stomach, not to the face. People have been suggesting mayonnaise as a face mask. Mayonnaise is filled with fats and oil and using it on the face will make your skin even worse, clogged pores, acne and breakouts will pop out. Mayonnaise can be used on the hair to moisturize the dry ends. Avoid using this beauty skincare ingredient.
- Tomatoes- Tomatoes contain lycopene in a large amount. Using this skincare ingredient will only worsen your skin conditions. Lycopene, when exposed to UV or sunlight, will cause collagen breakdown. Replace tomato usage to Jojoba beans when exfoliating.