Do you have a bad toothache? Is the doctor’s appointment not until next week? Do you want to know how to get rid of toothache? Don’t worry by the time you cannot visit the dentists’ clinic we have some home remedies for you to try to ease that pain. Toothache can be the most painful and uncomfortable feeling you have ever come across. Finding the root cause of tooth pain is very important. You might be suffering from tooth decay, gum disease, teeth, and gums infection, cavities or maybe a sinus infection.
Whatever be the reason you will definitely find something that works for you. Toothache can make your gums throb with pain, make our mouth sore. We have listed some of the best home remedies for toothache. These are some of the trusted short term pain reliever methods. Some of these remedies are approved by Healthline media, a red ventures company.
Want to know how to stop tooth pain? Try out these home remedies.
- Clove Oil- cloves are the old age remedy used for numbing the nerves. The major compound present in cloves is Eugenol, which is a natural anesthetic. You need to be a little careful when using clove oil. If poured directly on the affected area it can make the pain worse and hurt on sensitive gums and tooth infection. Put two drops of clove oil on a cotton ball and place the cotton against the tooth. You can use a pinch of powdered or whole clove and place it on the tooth. Keep chewing slowly to release the juice. Keep it in mouth until you get rid of the pain.
- Salt and Warm water– put one teaspoon of salt in a cup of hot water to make a pain reliever mouth wash. This will help in cleaning the way any food residue in the tooth and minimize swelling. Swish the water in the mouth for about 30 seconds and then spit it out. Keep repeating for at least 5-6 times.
- Hydrogen Peroxide– hydrogen peroxide helps in relieving pain and kills bacteria. It can provide temporary relief from toothache pain and foul taste. Use 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, swish it and then spit. Later rinse the mouth with water.
- Cold compress using ice pack– Place an ice cube into a plastic bag and wrap the cloth around the bag. Place the ice bag on the side of the cheek where the tooth pain is. Keep it for 15 minutes till the nerves are numb. Do it twice a day to relieve the pain.
- Black pepper powder- Mix a pinch of pepper powder and a quarter teaspoon of table salt. Add a few drops of water to make the paste. Apply this mixture on the affected area. This will help in killing germs, cure bad breath and also work as an inflammatory agent.
- Lime and Wheatgrass- Lime is great for minimizing tooth decay and treating bleeding gums. It also helps in reducing teeth loosening problems. Wheatgrass is great for eliminating toxins from the mouth. Make a potion of wheatgrass and lime and use it as a natural mouthwash. If you want you can chew on wheatgrass to make the solution more effective.
- Peppermint tea bags– Peppermint tea bags are effective in soothing sensitive gums and numbing the pain. Make peppermint tea and use the tea bag, cool it down for some time and apply it to the affected area. The teabags should be a little warm in temperature. You can also use it as a cold compress, keep the tea bag in the refrigerator and apply on the check where you have the toothache.
- Guava Leaves- Guava helps in healing the wound because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Chew on fresh guava leaves or add the leaves(crushed) to boiling water and use it as a mouthwash.
- Thyme- Thyme is a powerful antioxidant and antibacterial agent. It is known to relieve tooth pain. Mix a few drops of thyme essential oil and water and dab it on a cotton ball. Apply the cotton on the affected area. You can also mix a few drops of oil to warm water and use it as a mouthwash.
- Vanilla extract- Vanilla extract contain alcohol in a certain amount and this can help in relieving pain. Vanilla extract has antioxidant properties and works as a pain healer. Dab vanilla extract in a small amount on a cotton ball or your finger. Apply the extract on the affected area directly. Try this method a few times a day to numb the pain.
- Garlic- Garlic has been recognized for its medicinal properties for thousands of years. Garlic not only helps in killing the plaque-causing bacteria but also helps in reducing the pain. Crush a garlic clove and make a fine paste. Apply this where the pain is. You can also add a little bit of salt to this paste. If you can, try to chew on a fresh clove of garlic.
- Baking soda– Baking soda has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in relieving pain and swelling. It is also great for treating teeth and gums infection. Dip a cotton ball into the water and squeeze out the excess water. Cover the cotton ball with baking soda. Place it on the affected area. You can also make a mouth wash by mixing one teaspoon of baking soda in warm water and use to rinse the mouth. Use this method 2-3 times a day to get rid of the pain.
Some common causes of toothache:-
- Tooth decay
- Sinus infection
- Gum infection
- Grinding teeth
- Food between the gums or teeth
- Wisdom tooth
- Dental abscesses
- Losing a filling
- Trauma to the jaw
When to see a dentist?
If you have a severe toothache and do not get any relief from home remedies you should get an appointment to the dentist for proper treatment.
If you experience any of the below-mentioned symptoms go to a dentist ASAP.
- trouble in breathing
- difficulty in swallowing
- pain lasting for days
- abnormally red gums
- pain in biting
- foul-tasting discharge