Hangover seems to be the way of the body of reminding us about the negative impacts of overindulgence. It is a collection of symptoms and signs associated with a current bout of excess drinking. As hangover symptoms, a person might experience headaches, sickness, confusion, anxiety, depression, regret, shame, and embarrassment as a result of heavy drinking. The severity of hangover depends on the amount of alcohol that was consumed.
Now you must be thinking about how to cure a hangover or what are the best hangover cures? To be very honest, there are no magical solutions to this problem. But there are hangover cures that you can use to get relief. Moreover, you can use precautions to prevent a hangover. Here is all you need to know about the hangover, including hangover symptoms, causes, and cure.
Read – Home Remedies to Get Rid of Hangover
Most of the hangover symptoms and signs are caused due to a considerable decrease in blood alcohol. Moreover, the symptoms vary on the basis of the amount of alcohol consumption. Below mentioned are common hangover symptoms.
- body and muscle aches
- accelerated heartbeat
- bloodshot eyes
- fatigue and tiredness
If a person faces more severe hangover symptoms and signs during or after drinking, then they should seek medical help as they may experience alcohol poisoning. Seek doctor’s help if you are experiencing any of the below-mentioned symptoms.
- loss of breathing’s regular rhythm
- passing out
- continuous vomiting
- breathing slows down
During a hangover, the body feels the impact of alcohol, and it begins when the alcohol levels in the blood begin to fall. In fact, the symptoms become worse when the blood alcohol level reaches zero. Alcohol develops varied impacts on the body, which in turn contributes to the hangover symptoms. Below mentioned are some of the causes of a hangover.
- Dehydration – Alcohol is the direction that makes you pee a lot, which in turn leads to dehydration. Your body becomes dehydrated during as well as after drinking. Dehydration due to alcohol consumption is one of the major causes of dizziness, headache, and thirst.
- Low Blood Sugar – Excess consumption of alcohol limits glucose production in the body. Low blood sugar leads to irritability, dizziness, and fatigue.
- Gastrointestinal Effects – Alcohol increases the production of acid in the digestive system. On the basis of the amount of alcohol consumption, alcohol can increase or decrease the speed of passage of food material through the gastrointestinal tract. It causes diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting.
- Imbalance of Electrolytes – Intake of alcohol leads to an imbalance of electrolyte levels, which in turn contributes to irritability, weakness, and headaches.
- Impact on Immune System – Hangover symptoms like nausea, lack of concentration, and decreased appetite are associated with temporary changes in the functions of the immune system caused due to alcohol.
Best Hangover Cures
Here are some of the tips that you might help with a hangover cure .
- Take an Antacid – Taking an antacid like Tums or Alka-Seltzer might provide relief to your upset stomach. In order to provide relief to your stomach naturally, add a tablespoon of grated ginger to a glass of hot water.
- Eat – Foods containing carbs help in stabilizing the blood sugar, and it also provides relief from the upset stomach. Start with eating a lesser amount of food if you are facing the issue of nausea and opt for foods like crackers or toast.
- Get Enough Sleep – It is an effective hangover cure. Lack of sleep worsens the symptoms of a hangover. So try to get enough sleep to get rid of hangover symptoms.
- Drink water – Rehydrate your body by drinking a lot of water, coconut water, or fresh fruit juices. Rehydrating the body is one of the best hangover cures.
- Take Vitamins – Natural products and vitamins help in getting rid of one or more hangover symptoms. You can opt for ginger, Korean pear, or red ginseng as they are good for treating hangover symptoms.
Methods to Prevent Future Hangover
Now, if you are planning to drink again, you must be thinking about how to prevent a hangover? Trust me; prevention is one of the best ways to handle the hangover.
- Eat a Meal Rich in Carbs – One of the best solutions to how to prevent a hangover is consuming a carb-rich meal like pasta or brown rice. It helps in slowing down the rate of alcohol absorption in your blood stream.
- Drink Sufficient Water – Drink water continuously throughout the night. Try to have a glass of water before your every drink and even before going to bed.
- Choose light-colored rinks – Opt for drinks that are clear-colored as they tend to be low in congeners. Such drinks do not lead to severe headaches.
- Don’t opt for Carbonated Drinks – Fizzy or carbonated drinks increase the speed of alcohol absorption in the blood, which in turn leads to severe hangover symptoms.
- Avoid Cigarettes – Smoking impacts sleep quality, immune system, and hydration, which further results in an intense hangover.