We all love soft pink lips. The lips have fragile skin, and they get dry and chapped easily. Our lips do not have oil glands of their own, and therefore it is important to keep them moisturized and nourished. Chapped lips are a very common problem faced by kids and adults, especially in colder months. There are various chapped lips causes, like overexposure to the sun, cold and dry winds, cosmetic allergy, and also dehydration. Drinking water is very important to keep the body hydrated. In this article, we have mention below the meaning of chapped lips, all possible the causes of chapped lips, and answered the most frequently asked question, How to cure chapped lips fast?
Chapped lips meaning
Our lips have very thin and delicate skin and are prone to get dry quicker than the rest of the body part. Due to continuous exposure to the sun, dry air, cold weather, the lips get dry, flaky, and sometimes it can get flaky and peel. Having chapped lips means super dry lips. Chapped lips can cause discomfort, pain, and can sometimes bleed. Having chapped lips in winter is common, but if you are facing this problem in other seasons too, it can be due to overexposure to the sun or maybe the side effects of your cosmetic products.
Before we learn how to cure chapped lips faster, it’s important to understand the causes behind chapped lips.
- Dehydration- Dehydration means when the body is releasing more fluids, then it is consuming in. The body tries to extract the water to keep the body hydrated, and when it fails to do so, our lips will get super dry and chapped, which is the result of dehydration.
- Licking lips – people often tend to lick lips in order to moisturize them. Saliva is a quick evaporating content. Saliva makes our lips super dry. It is one of the most common causes of chapped lips. Instead, keep a lip balm in your bag for chapped lips.
- Smoking- Smoking is the biggest reason for causing chapped lips. Smoking will make your lips dry, chapped, and dark.
- Cold weather conditions- when the weather is too cold, dry, and windy, our lips are more prone to get dry and chapped quickly. Cold, windy weather is also one of the causes behind chapped lips.
Allergic reaction- using too many cosmetics can cause chapped lips. Sometimes cosmetic products can cause an allergic reaction, which will make the lips dry, irritated.
How To Cure Chapped Lips Fast?
It’s not likely to get soft and smooth lips in one day. Healing dry and chapped lips need some time and proper care. We have written down some of the best home remedies to cure chapped lips fast.
· Exfoliation- Exfoliation is a crucial step to get rid of dead skin cells. Exfoliation helps in removing the dry, flaky skin of the lips.
Make your own DIY lip scrub at home:
1 tbsp sugar
Mix both the ingredients and apply on the lips. Scrub with very light pressure using the finger. Wipe off using a damp towel.
This is one of the best home remedies for chapped lips. This scrub will instantly make your lips super soft and smooth.
· Cocoa Butter- Moisturizing is very important to cure chapped lips. Shea butter and Cocoa butter are great for conditioning lips deeply and nourishing them. Cocoa butter contains fatty acids that hydrate the lips and make them soft. You can apply cocoa butter lip balm directly on the lips, or there are a lot of brands that have cocoa butter lip balm for chapped lips. You can also switch cocoa butter for buttermilk.
· Coconut Oil- Coconut oil is an amazing ingredient for curing chapped lips. Coconut oil has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Coconut oil not only helps in healing chapped lips but also prevents any infection. Coconut oil is great for curing chapped lips.
· Aloe Vera Gel- Aloe Vera has healing and anti-bacterial properties. Applying Aloe Vera on dry lips will help in removing the dead skin and nourish them. Apply Aloe Vera gel on chapped lips overnight to heal and wash it off using a damp towel in the morning.