The danger of cutting your cuticles
November 20,2015 2:37 am| by:-
Jasmine Bano ! Posted in:-NAIL ART,
Who in this world today doesn’t take care of their appearance? Every other person is concerned about their looks and image, even tiniest of things are paid attention today and one of those “tiny” things are nails. People spend hundreds of bucks for proper care and maintenance of their nails. The first thing that comes to mind as far as nail care is concerned; is manicure. It is a really nice way to treat your nails as it pampers the nails well and also the hygiene is kept in mind. But what if I say that it is not that good as it seems and might be harmful too? You might be wondering what picture am I presenting to you but don’t worry my dear friend, you are going to have some amazing revelations.
Everyone would agree to the fact that there is nothing better than getting a manicure because after that short procedure, your nails are evenly shaped and all of your cuticles are cut properly. Your nails shine and look amazing as never before. But wait, this is actually the half truth and the other half might be a bit astonishing.
- Manicure involves cutting the cuticles; which some reports suggest; is greatly harmful. The people in salon often suggest on snipping away those cuticles and then once cut, the cycle needs to be repeated over and over again as they grow fast and not as pretty as they were before and quite look like fray and gills of fish. There is perpetuation of an endless cutting cycle. This is quite a problem as then, they need to be cut periodically and if you cannot do this yourself at home (which you better not), this means taking good deal of time in having appointments of salon, getting stuff done is all you would run behind to and nobody is so idle to devote large amount of time in a salon!!
- But is the above mentioned point the actual harm we are all thinking of? No, not at all. This is not the major cause of concern as this is only regarding the beauty and appearance of the nails.
- Some experts view this as a serious problem as these cuticles were never meant to be cut or it may lead to cuticle infection. It is not good to trim them though pushing them back is okay. Cuticles are nothing but skin tissues attached to nail plate and they serve a purpose which is why they are there, right? They do the extremely important and brave task of stopping the infectious microbes and bacteria and other foreign materials from entering your body through cuticle nail. So, by cutting those cuticles, all you are doing is paving a way for easy entry of all these germs and infection causing bacteria right inside your body. That sounds bad, doesn’t it? The infection that develops usually is called paronychia and is very painful and unsightly. Therefore, we all must know how safe it is to not cut those cuticles; a truth that was well hidden for long. Health comes before everything, so instead of adopting ways to improve your appearance, we should be more concerned with ways that helps in improving our health.
- Instead of cutting the cuticles, push cuticles back gently, make sure to emphasize more on the word “gently”. Pushing them back would not only give the perfect ridge you yearn for but will also help you get rid of the problems that might arise due to cuticle cutting. But one thing to keep in mind is that it has to be done gently otherwise if forcefully pushed back, it might result in growing of nails in horizontal ridges and then the nail beds would look disgusting. One thing that needs more care is the instruments used. Before using such devices in manicure, make sure they are sterilized and not too many people have used them without proper cleaning before. Such healthy practices would definitely help you in the long run.
- Some nail care tips are listed below so as to help your nails shine and look good:
- Moisturize the nail bed properly: It will help the nails grow faster and would not let cuticles dry; which in turn, will prevent nail from breaking due to the lack of moisture. Apply oil near nails to avoid chipping, cracking and splitting of nails.
- Use biotin supplements: According to some researches, using biotin supplements can increase nail thickness and prevent nails from splitting and breaking.
- Limit professional manicures: It is hard not to have pampering and soothing manicures and pedicures quite often; but not having them frequently is in your best interests. As during manicures and pedicures, nails and nail beds are exposed to lot of chemicals and harsh ingredients which soon can lead to dry cuticle and brittle nails. Some people who undergo manicures a number of times also suffer from nail bed infections which are difficult to be treated and make you loathe your nails.
- Avoid acetone based nail paint remover: They are the biggest contributors in making nails dry, dull and brittle.
- Don’t overdo washing: Washing hands is a healthy practice; but don’t overdo it. Coming in contact with water and harsh chemicals like detergents, washing powders etc. more than often, can do more bad than it seems. It would wipe out all moisture from your skin and nail beds; making nails look dry, dull and not at all nice.
- Remember toe nails too:We usually forget toenails and are prone to give them less attention as we don’t come across our feet that often and kind of forget them but they actually need extra care than your hands. Staying in dark and compact environment that our shoes offer, toenails and skin are easier to get affected by fungus or other germs.
- Also, make sure to cut toenails straight and not in edges otherwise, it would increase a higher risk for ingrown nails and infected cuticle.
Read More : Polka Dot Nail Paint Designs
So this was it! I hope you all are now well informed about the cuticle cutting of fingernails and toenails, its harms and preventive measures. I bet it was as shocking to you as it was to me that even these small cuticles plays such important part in our body and fulfill a great purpose which is sabotaged by the usual cutting during manicures. So, as now you are all enlightened by this not so big but definitely not less worthy knowledge, I hope you will make sure to keep these things in mind the next time you go manicuring and save your nails before it’s too late…
Ladies to the rescue…*snap* Make sure to follow the above mentioned nail care tips to make your nails go stronger, healthier and better.
Do not forget to tell if you liked it and your suggestions are always welcome in the comments below. I sign off here. Have a great day!